Monday, August 15, 2011

Heaven's Currency

And he said to them, “When you pray, say:

“Father, hallowed be your name.

Your kingdom come.

Give us each day our daily bread,

and forgive us our sins,

for we ourselves forgive everyone who is indebted to us.

And lead us not into temptation.”

(Luke 11:2-4 ESV)

Forgiveness is currency. It keeps the economy humming in heaven. The gold we men value is used for asphalt in heaven; that's the only good it does there. Heaven's values spill over into this present age in the form of forgiveness currency . God shows me forgiveness daily; it's my allowance and I can spread it around or I can bury it.

When I am abused by someone who should care or robbed of something precious or persecuted senselessly, I bury what God gives me. There's no way I'm going to share it. Why waste it on a project that will probably fail?

I forget, when I'm cruelly victimized, that I was once a failing project; a ship going down. Please don't remind me of the victims I left in my wake.

Forgiveness is the only currency heaven accepts from me. When Jesus said lay up riches in heaven where there's no corruption, this the currency I need to be piling up there.

The devil has no access to this currency. That is why our adversary is so busy making sure we don't trade in the forgiveness economy. It's his economic strategy to have us trade in a debt-bloated false economy of anger, revenge, lust, drunkenness, bitterness and cynicism. These end in death; the enemy's greatest weapon. But forgiveness has the ability to revive and revitalize the most depraved, empty loser-life.

Sometimes it feels good to partner with God in this, and sometimes it feels like following stupid orders.

Related links


  • His Crime Our Punishment
  • Forgive How?
  • God's good future flowing into the present
  • Guilt
  • The beginning of San Francisco days
  • How do we live life? Risk it all.
  • A Start
  • I'm Gonna Do It
  • Is there a book anywhere in here?
  • No comments: