Thursday, April 03, 2008

Where's the Miracle

It takes me awhile to work through the stack of books accumulating in different piles around the house. Last summer, an author sent me a book that I hope to review here soon and I just had to share an "ah-ha" moment Brian Jones, the author of Second Guessing God, unpacks.

Jones takes the reader to Joshua 3 where the Isrealites are guided to the banks of the Jordan to prepare to cross into the Promised Land. The Jordan that time of year is overflowing and God has to do a miracle if He expects His Chosen to cross over. The Bible narrative says that God caused the river to pile high into a heap upstream at the town of Adam.
Scholars estimate the town of Adam was roughly nineteen miles upstream from where the Isrealites stood, far beyond where they could see. It was a miracle, but it was a miracle the people didn't witness with their own eyes. God performed the miracle upstream, out of their sight.

I believe the same situation occurs in our lives today. Here's the powerful truth:God is always at work upstream in our lives.---Brian Jones, p. 35


I'm looking forward to the rest of the book.

1 comment:

Mary Gerber said...

Powerful stuff. I don't think I've ever thought to take the time to thank God for all the stuff he's done in my life that I wasn't even aware of. I guess this is kind of like Matthew 6 1-4 where we are called to do good deeds, but not show off or we won't get our reward from God. I guess he is leading by example. I never thought of that before!