Sunday, June 10, 2007

Visitors from Florida


Ali was hostess to a visit from her Grandpa and Auntie from Florida. It's been a few weeks since Grandpa has been able to visit. He notices incredible improvement in Ali since the last time he was here in San Francisco. Auntie arrived with an armload of gifts for little Ali. She fell asleep comfortably in Auntie's arms while she rocked and hummed to little Ali.

Little Ali has brought together two families that would probably never have crossed paths. No one ever knows what lies just around the next turn. All the planning in the world can never adequately prepare anyone for the plot-twists in our life's story.
So how do we get through it? How do we set ourselves up to properly face the future?
Luke 6:48
"He is like a man building a house, who dug deep and laid the foundation on the rock. And when the flood rose, the stream beat vehemently against that house, and could not shake it, for it was founded on the rock."

Matthew 6:33, 34
"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness..."
"...do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about its own things. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble."

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bryon, I tho't of you all, this morning, in church. During the praise/worship time (meaning, music portion, since we also worship through the preaching of the Word), the worship leader du jour asked us to be seated, so he could introduce us to a new (to most of us) song. He called it an old one, but I had never heard it. I managed to write down the words to the refrain:

"If I could just sit with You a while / If You could just hold me / Nothing can touch me / Though I'm wounded, Though I die / If I could just sit with You a while / I need You to hold me / Moment by moment / Til forever passes."

I'm sorry I don't know who wrote it; do you? Are you familiar with it?

Those words express how I feel, at times, when life is just too overwhelming, even though I know He is with me and working it all out for good....

Your scripture verses are certainly appropriate. I also think of Hebrews 12, in those first several verses, which I won't quote at length. Just a year or two ago, as I struggled with something that had often been a source of shame and discouragement, I re-read this passage. This phrase jumped out at me, nearly flashing in neon: "Looking to Jesus...." I know it is written in a context, but it helps me so much, whenever I am under a load, just to "look to Jesus." I know you and your family are doing a whole lot of that, and I want to thank you for letting some of us share this part of your journey with you.

Chris Goeppner said...

miss you bro. prayers.

Anonymous said...

We are excited and pryaing for Ali's release this afternoon.
We missed you and Susan at church.
Let us know if there is anything that you need us to pray for other than healing of course that we daily do.

Anonymous said...

The nice thing is the weather is perfect there for running...as you know, back here we are out the door by 5:30 to get the miles in before the sun beats down, no escpaing the humidity though! we are still praying for you guys and your big day today! love to all!

Emily and Trent

Jennifer said...

Praying for you all at Calvary Chapel in Bangor.

Anonymous said...

I am just getting back from Miami after a long meeting with clients and after that taking Sophia's rocking chair to someone that needed it down there. I just realized how I call Ali in my heart I took my laptop to log on and thought I have to check how "Mi nina linda" which means "My pretty girl" is doing today (trying to make no noise since everyone is sleeping)but nothing posted yet I have prayed that everything is just smooth for you all and that you can feel the love of Our Father surrounding you every step of the way. God Bless!!

Anonymous said...

Dear Bryon and Susan,
It is so exciting to read your updates, because God truly does do one amazing thing after the other. When I look into Ali's beautiful blue eyes, mine fill with tears of joy. This little girl has quite a testimony of God's miraculous power, love and grace. She is a gift from God. I love you guys.
Joyce