Monday, December 12, 2005

Elements

What would your life look like if you made God’s kingdom your primary concern? Would your conversations be different? Would they move beyond box scores, movie reviews, and the weather? Would they center on issues like why we were put on this planet? Would your relationships change from functional to influential – where one encounter with you would change the way people live?
>>> Bob Franquiz, Elements

Here’s what I like about Bob’s book: it’s not written to impress pastors and seminarians. He wrote it to motivate normal guys like me to live a life that contributes something to the story of God.

If you like the way Erwin Raphael McManus writes, you’ll eat Bob’s book up. Bob starts with scripture and then shows the reader how to apply it in a relevant and practical way. He explains that Christ revolutionizes our lives and we can in turn, like John the Baptist, point people to Jesus and turn our world right-side-up.

The more I dug into this book, the more it challenged me. I didn’t read and get warm and fuzzy. I got squirmy. I have a few raw edges that have been ignored lately. This book helped me clean out a bit of festering and infection.

Kudos to Bob for writing this book. I’m sure this is only the first of many challenging and insightful projects to come out of Miami Lakes.

2 comments:

Chris Goeppner said...

i have to check it out bro. sounds good.

dogfreid said...

Sounds like a good read. Speaking of McManus, my pastor has highly suggested The Barbarian Way.