Saturday, December 24, 2005

Boy Scout Motto: Be Prepared

"No knives!"

That was my number one rule when I was a youth pastor. When I took the kids on outings, I'd go through their backpacks and suitcases to make sure they had no weapons. I found these pictures of this young Boy Scout on the Drudge Report. They illustrate why I didn't let kids take knives.

You'd be amazed to see the twisted games kids invent with knives, fireworks, and duct tape once away from the watchful eye of their mommies. At a gas station in Georgia, a kid send a bottle rocket he just purchased under a car being topped off. One mentally gifted kid on a Mexico mission trip created a duct tape cat-o'-nine-tails and broke it in over the bare backs of his cabin mates. And then, my own son chucked a football at my daughter while she was cleaning her nails with a switchblade. She stabbed herself in the thigh. We were in the African Bush (where switchblades are legal and available - unlike good medical care) when this little mishap occured.

The poor kid in the photos was the victim of a Boy Scout leader flinging a knife from his hands in an attempt to save another boy that was tripping. Remember when society's biggest fear were homosexual Scout Masters? What about the accident prone ones?

Click this link for the rest of the story.